"Grouping" workflow & sub-flow releases

Catherall, Andy M andy.m.catherall at csplc.com
Tue May 20 06:53:07 EDT 2008

Hi all

I'm curious to see if any cunning work-arounds have been developed for
the following example scenario:

* I have a workflow with a sub-flow.
* This subflow is called some-way through the main-flow, and hence there
can be several instances of the main-flow active that have not yet got
so far as to call the sub-flow.
* I would like to change the design of both the main-flow & sub-flow in
some way, such that the new sub-flow design is reliant upon the change
in the main-flow design (eg A step in the main-flow does something, a
step in the sub-flow now expects that that something has been done).
* If I release these two new workflows into production, there is the
following risk:
A workflow instance which began when the old design was active now
reaches the subflow, but calls the *new* version. As described above,
the subflow expects that the mainflow has completed something, but as
the old design of the mainflow was being used, this is not correct.
Errors will probably now occur.

What would be great is if it were possible to associate subflow versions
with mainflow versions so that we could effectively version up the
package, rather than just the individual workflow templates. However,
I'm not aware of this being available on any version.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Andy Catherall
Technical Analyst - SAP Workflow, IXOS & DMS
 <<Picture (Metafile)>>
Int: 751 0556
Ext: +44 (0)121 415 0556
Mobile: +44 (0)7813 025481

Cadbury Cocoa Partnership - a historic alliance to secure the future of cocoa farming. Visit www.cadbury.com to learn more

Please support our Purple Goes Green commitments and consider the environment before you print this email

This email (including any attachment) is confidential and may contain privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or receive it in error, you may not use, distribute, disclose or copy any of the information contained within it and it may be unlawful to do so. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning this email to us at <mailto:mailerror at csplc.com> and destroy all copies.
Any views expressed by individuals within this email do not necessarily reflect the views of Cadbury Holdings Ltd or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates. This email does not constitute a binding offer, acceptance, amendment, waiver or other agreement, unless such intention is clearly stated in the body of the email. Whilst we have taken reasonable steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from viruses, recipients are advised to subject this email to their own virus checking, in keeping with good computing practice. Please note that email received by Cadbury Holdings Ltd or its subsidiaries or affiliates may be monitored in accordance with applicable law.
Cadbury Holdings Ltd registered in England and Wales, no. 52457.
Registered address: 25 Berkeley Square, London, W1J 6HB, United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7409 1313 Fax: +44 (0) 20 7830 5200