Parallel WF Deadline processing in ECC 6.0 is possible (if you really want it)

Mike Gambier madgambler at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 10 07:22:20 EDT 2008

Hi,

This is an update for any fellow wuggers looking after heavy Workflow-based systems who want to convert the single stream job for Workflow Deadlines (previously RSWWDHEX now RSWDDDHEX_INTERNAL) and/or want to restrict the number of deadlines processed per run. Basically this enables the same kind of parallel processing that you can employ for the Event Queue using SWEQADM settings.

Under 4.6c we managed to achieve both by cloning the old RSWWDHEX program and modifying the select statement and the RFC destination to suit our needs. Under ECC 6.0 the rules have changed of course (as has the program, which is now just a shell to call RSWDDHEX_INTERNAL) so this won't work as we now have to deal with the rabbit warren of classes and polymorphism that is the new Workflow/BPE engine. Anyone else fed up of debugging through CL_SWL* Methods yet by the way? I know I am already...

But hoorah! After a bit of persuaion SAP have seen the light and recgnised that there might be a need for this kind of approach as standard, so they have come up with SAP OSS Note 1025249 :)

This introduces a 'new' RFC destination called WORKFLOW_LOCAL_DEADLINE_100 which can be configured to point to your own server group (so you can control which servers the first deadline step is executed on). Although, to be honest, the actual code change itself is a bit of hack even by SAP's standards; they simply insert the 'DEADLINE_' string into the RFC Destination name on the fly!

Pity they didn't see fit to add this an option in SWU3 though, but hey-ho.

To restrict the selection of deadlines they have agreed to a small mod in class method CL_SWF_RUN_SWWWIDH_QUEUE ->GET_INSTANCE_FOR_TIMESTAMP where it's possible to introduce an UP TO n ROWS statement and influence the value of n as required. We've have done this for ourselves via a mod as no official note will be supplied at present.

Regards,

Mike GT