ECC 6.0 Upgrade - Processing work items from old environment

Mike Gambier madgambler at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 5 12:06:12 EST 2008

Ouch. That's not good news. We will going through the same pain in a few months time, again with millions.

I presume the binding problems are a result of the version-dependent settings (of whatever Workflow definition the Work Items belong to) not matching the stricter rules imposed by the new Workflow environment in ECC 6.0?

Have you checked that the DDIC data element or structure involved is actually active? We've noticed that several large tables that we know have been changed were not activated properly and present in the runtime environemnt in their new format, despite DDIC saying they were active. It took us a few manual bumps and a couple of SWU_OBUFs to actually persuade one particular step to accept that a parameter it was using was the correct length.

If you tried to display the definition now using SWDD or SWUD does the builder highlight the problematic elements or binding issues?

Have you considered checking the binding settings in SWD_BINDEF for the version of the Workflow definition that is causing the problem? Perhaps by 'adjusting' the values in the table to point to a valid/active DDIC structure the runtime syntax error could be avoided?

By the way, we noticed that several 'old' 4.6c condition steps (e.g. date constants like '31.12.9999' as a characeter string for example) would have to be re-entered again in SWDD before they would be deemed acceptable by the builder. Presumably because the new builder does something a little bit more/differently than the old one, allowing the 'old' value to pass whatever validation it failed before.

Regards,

Mike GT> Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 08:30:14 -0800> From: sapedi2000 at yahoo.com> Subject: ECC 6.0 Upgrade - Processing work items from old environment> To: sap-wug at mit.edu> > Hello,> > Upgarding to ECC 6.0 from 4.6C. In the development> box, we found that some workflow templates failed> syntax check due to stricter enforcement of data types> bindings. We fixed these issues in the development> environment.> > Question 1) What happens to work items created in 46C> after the upgrade? Should they continue to process in> ECC6.0 without issues?> > Question 2) What happens to work items created in 46C> for the WF templates which failed the syntax check in> ECC 6.0 (we have millions) when we go live? I> understand that a workflow instance always refers to> the version of the WF template that it was created in> and not to the latest version. Does that mean that> when we go-live, the work items that exist that were> created in 4.6C would be referring to the older (46C)> version of the workflow templates rather than the> newest version (ECC6.0) where the syntax issue was> fixed. Do they then fail?> > Any input into how to fix this potential issue would> be helpful!> > Thanks,> Zack> _______________________________________________> SAP-WUG mailing list> SAP-WUG at mit.edu> http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/sap-wug