User Input - Tables and Comments

Michael McInerney michaelm at duke.edu
Thu Dec 18 09:37:16 EST 2008

I have a general question, and a specific example.

At times, you may want to route a workflow item to an agent and return more than a simple user choice or a structure of values.  In some cases we want to obtain a *table* of values.  Is there a standard or best practice way for doing that?  ( I tried using a 'form' with a multi-line container element, but that did not work.  Nor was I able to reference 'table types' established in the workflow container.  )

In particular, we would like to route the notification of a blocked invoice to the inbox of an agent, provide that agent with a description of the condition, and obtain from that agent a decision and some number of values in a table of structured data.  Here's a link to a screen mock-up (user inputs in yellow). <http://www.duke.edu/~michaelm/images/wfdialog.jpg>   Are there any objects set up to do this type of activity? Additionally, this particular workflow could pass back and forth between the requestor and our procurement department multiple times - we'd like a way to add comments, and to display previous comments... Again, are there any building blocks already set up to do this?

Our working idea is.

*	Adding a Method to Our Main Business Object
*	Invoking that method from a task
*	Having that call bring up a screen filled with enough containers to house the variety of CL_GUI_ (textedit,grid) objects we need
*	Implementing the logging as a formatted text string, appending new info as needed

I'm looking for best practices and standardization techniques, and I welcome the community's response.

Thanks.

.Mike McInerney

Duke University

(919)684-5371

We are at ECC 6.0

Michael K. McInerney
Duke University        Office of Information Technology
334 Blackwell Street, Suite 1103, Durham, NC 27701
(919)684-5371                           michaelm at duke.edu <mailto:michaelm at duke.edu>