Error in the evaluation of expression..." with empty attributes

Mike Pokraka wug at workflowconnections.com
Thu Aug 21 04:10:55 EDT 2008

Hi Jake,

This is an elegant and perfectly valid workaround.

The issue here is that some parts of the system are more tolerant than
others: in a binding, it doesn't matter whether the source is valid or not,
it will simply result in an empty target value. If you are comparing two
values in a condition, both sides must exist and must be valid.

One other way to do this would be to use an EX (existence check) test in
your condition to make sure your object instance exists. I don't know
offhand whether the system is clever enough to take Boolean shortcuts and
not bother trying to evaluate the second part of an AND if the first one
fails. If it is clever enough, you could combine them:
&OBJ& EX   AND
&OBJ.ATTR& = &SOMEVALUE&

The reason I mentioned my second example (object-object-attribute) is that
this will also fail in a binding. This has more to do with the way the
internals are designed:

In the case of object-attribute, an uninstantiated object still contains the
object type that it would be when it will be instantiated, it simply doesn't
have a key.

In the case of object-object-attribute, if the "middle" object does not
exist, and empty value is returned when the parent object attribute is
determined. This empty value has no object  type and therefore trying to
evaluate an attribute will result in an error. There are has more to do with
the fact that the system does not know whether the attribute definition even
exists.

Cheers,
Mike