Manager Self-Service (MSS) and automated Infotype Updates

baerbel.winkler@carestreamhealth.com baerbel.winkler at carestreamhealth.com
Mon Apr 21 03:57:51 EDT 2008

Hi Folks,

I'm involved with a project to implement Personnel Change Requests -
basically Manager Self Service (MSS). We run our HR-system on SAP R/3
Enterprise and Netweaver 04. Some portal-functionality is already
available for special payments and we would like to follow a similar
approach for these types of changes:
- Change in Position ("functional" where the position stays as is or
"regular" where the employee moves to another position)
- Change in Job-ID/Pay/Grade/Working time
- Converting from conditional to regular employment status
- Terminating or Leave the company

We are currently in the design-phase of the project and are trying to put
the various bits and pieces together. One of those pieces obviously
involves workflows which should be triggered from the notifications
generated by the portal-requests. I've already searched various places
(SDN, PCR-cookbooks...) but so far couldn't find any information about how
to actually handle the updates to the Personnel- and PD-Org-tables. Most
of the documentation seems to imply that a person eg. an HR-admin will do
these updates directly in the system with information provided in the
work-item. Our goal is to have these updates done automatically in the
background, triggered from workflows.

Looking at how involved a "simple" change like "leave the company"
actually is when done via transaction PA40, I have some doubts, whether
this can be triggered from Workfow and the updates then done automatically
without putting the data-integrity at risk. I did find information about
function modules HR_INFOTYPE_OPERATION and HR_MAINTAIN_MASTERDATA but
these seem to be for updates to one Infotype at any one time only - so
we'd still have to make sure to call them multiple times in the proper
sequence if more than one IT needs updating.

Another aspect is, that most - if not all - of the employee-related
changes will also include PD-Org-changes, if only to delimit corresponding
org-assignements.I haven't yet been able to find any BAPIs and/or Function
modules for these types of changes.

Could you please give me some pointers of where else I can search for
information and/or examples? Is what we have in mind feasible at all? Has
it been done before?

Thanks much and Cheers
Baerbel Winkler

Bärbel Winkler - Carestream Health IT
IT Steward Technical - Application
Telefon: +49 (0) 711 406 2664 / KNET: 631-2664 / Fax: +49(0) 711 406 5155
Email: baerbel.winkler at carestreamhealth.com
Carestream Health Deutschland GmbH / Hedelfinger Straße 60, 70327
Stuttgart
Geschäftsführer: Wolfgang Menrad / Sitz der Gesellschaft: Stuttgart /
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 722186