Advice required on DMS workflow!

Catherall, Andy M andy.m.catherall at csplc.com
Tue Nov 6 08:59:13 EST 2007

Hi Vinod

It looks like you are not quite sure what to expect, so here's an
overview. We've got several DMS workflows running here, so I can go into
more detail if you have specific concerns.

1) I note that in my environment my draw object only has a CHANGED event
- there is no STATUSCHANGED event. I'm on an old 4.6c, so perhaps things
have changed in newer versions, but that should not be a problem. On the
other hand, if STATUSCHANGED is a new, custom event, it may be that it
is only going to be raised in the appropriate scenario.
You might be able to prove this in SWEC, or if you are using a ZDRAW
object....

2) We generally start our workflows using the CREATED event, plus a
start condition which limits based on document type. Bare in mind that
there may be other DMS documents being raised that are nothing to do
with your workflow.

3) In SWEL, the number of lines does not necessarily tie up with the
number of events. It also relates to the number of event listeners as
well. So one event can have two entries, if two things triggered off.
Are you sure that they are both your workflow? Or is there something
else reacting to the CHANGE as well?

4) The start condition ought to limit things correctly. Check that your
logic is correct... and you can try to raise the appropriate event in
SWUE (and even look to see if there are any active listeners in any
running work flows).

5) In order to respond differently to different types of status change,
we have created custom events on DRAW and then used change docs in SWEC
to raise them at the appropriate time. So, for example, we have a
terminate event for a particular workflow, which is only raised when a
certain DIR document type moves to a status of DL.

Andy