Error when defining successor for node

Paul.Bakker@osr.treasury.qld.gov.au Paul.Bakker at osr.treasury.qld.gov.au
Wed May 2 18:56:28 EDT 2007

Carolyn,

I've seen this error in the past - it was also sporadic. I found some OSS
notes mentioning this error, but none were applicable to our system.

Incidentally, the error message text in our (620) system for WL 411 is 'No
successor defined for node &2 and result &3', which may be a better
descriptor of what is really going on.

As you've probably worked out, the root of the problem is that the workitem
returns a result which is (apparently!) not one of the defined outcomes.
The workflow doesn't know which branch to take next, so it collapses in
heap.

Can you see in your workflow log what the outcome was for the last
workitem? (Look under the 'Result' column in the technical log).

Can you investigate how an unexpected outcome may occur (eg due to some
error condition, like having a locked document)?

cheers
Paul

|         |           Carolyn Fuller   |
|         |           <fuller at MIT.EDU> |
|         |           sap-wug-bounces at M|
|         |           IT.EDU           |
|         |           03/05/2007 05:18 |
|         |           "SAP Workflow    |
|         |           Users' Group"    |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                  |
  |       To:       "SAP Workflow Users' Group" <sap-wug at MIT.EDU>                                                    |
  |       cc:                                                                                                        |
  |       Subject:  Error when defining successor for node                                                           |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi,

MIT has a custom FIPP workflow created under 4.6c that has been
running in production since 2001. There is an asynchronous step with
three possible outcomes. Under 4.6c, this step would successfully
post the document and yet end in error  about 1 time out of 500 times
with message WL 411 (Workflow '&' work item &: No successor defined
for event '&').

After upgrading to ERP2005 (ECC 6.0) the message has changed to SWP
009 (Error when defining successor for node &1) and instead of
happening once in 500 times, it is happening 1/3 of the time which
results in 300+ errors a day that the workflow administrator must
logically delete.

Clearly it is a problem that must be addressed now. We can't
reproduce it in any environment except our production environment
which is running on several application servers. We turned the Event
Trace on for FIPP. The workflow error occurred for document 200950337
at 14:45:37. The event, POSTED, occurred and was successfully
received for this document at 14:45:34. There is no other event
between 14:45:34 & 14:45:57. The 14:45:57 event is for a different
document and a different workflow.

When I examined the event log for a document whose workflow completed
with no errors and a document whose workflow ended in error, there is
absolutely no differences.

Help! Any ideas on why this is happening?

---
Carolyn Fuller
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Information Services and Technology
Administrative Computing
Senior Analyst/ Programmer
(617) 253-6213
http://fuller.mit.edu/

Only an individual or entity who is intended to be a recipient of this e-mail may access or use the information contained in this e-mail or any of its attachments.  Opinions contained in this e-mail or any of its attachments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Queensland Treasury.

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged and the subject of copyright.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Queensland Treasury immediately and erase all copies of the e-mail and the attachments.  Queensland Treasury uses virus scanning software.  However, it is not liable for viruses present in this e-mail or in any attachment.