Error when defining successor for node

Carolyn Fuller fuller at MIT.EDU
Wed May 2 15:18:53 EDT 2007

Hi,

MIT has a custom FIPP workflow created under 4.6c that has been
running in production since 2001. There is an asynchronous step with
three possible outcomes. Under 4.6c, this step would successfully
post the document and yet end in error  about 1 time out of 500 times
with message WL 411 (Workflow '&' work item &: No successor defined
for event '&').

After upgrading to ERP2005 (ECC 6.0) the message has changed to SWP
009 (Error when defining successor for node &1) and instead of
happening once in 500 times, it is happening 1/3 of the time which
results in 300+ errors a day that the workflow administrator must
logically delete.

Clearly it is a problem that must be addressed now. We can't
reproduce it in any environment except our production environment
which is running on several application servers. We turned the Event
Trace on for FIPP. The workflow error occurred for document 200950337
at 14:45:37. The event, POSTED, occurred and was successfully
received for this document at 14:45:34. There is no other event
between 14:45:34 & 14:45:57. The 14:45:57 event is for a different
document and a different workflow.

When I examined the event log for a document whose workflow completed
with no errors and a document whose workflow ended in error, there is
absolutely no differences.

Help! Any ideas on why this is happening?

---
Carolyn Fuller
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Information Services and Technology