SAP-WUG - to SDN or not to SDN, that is the question

Hilsbos, Margaret A Margaret.Hilsbos at dayzim.com
Thu Jun 28 09:29:06 EDT 2007

Just want to chip in that I would like the WUG to continue as the
phenomenal resource it's been, and I would be disappointed to see it
move to SDN.

Reasons:

1.  WUG ain't broke. It works great. (For the beneficiaries, anyway.)
2.  My experiences with SDN have been mostly frustrating, and as has
been mentioned, the search is very poor. (I have found good answers
there on occasion though, SDN is not completely hopeless.)

Those said, my biggest reason is that I've evolved a great system for
handling the WUG traffic in my inbox, but if it moves to SDN I would
have to figure out how to set things up again to achieve the same
benefit and ease of use. It's probably possible, but given the choice,
from a purely selfish perspective I'd rather not change something that
is working quite well for me as is.

If a move to SDN is necessary in the future, I hope some nice folks will
compile a concise FAQ on how to make the SDN Workflow forum at least
behave as much as possible like WUG.

Also, here's an example usability problem with ASUG forums (I don't know
if this is also true for SDN, I haven't used SDN much because of the
performance) - the subject line looks like this:

"ASUG Discussion Forum Post: RE:Brief Survey - WF and BPM SIG"

EVERY email has the SAME first 25+ characters. I suspect I'm not the
only person who finds it harder to pick out items of interest by
scanning headers in my ASUG folder.  In contrast, the WUG emails have a
meaningful subject line from the first character (except for the
occasional noob or goof that generates a SAP-WUG Digest reply). Why not
configure the ASUG forum mail with the forum indicator at the end of the
subject line (like: RE:Brief Survey - WF and BPM SIG (ASUG Discussion
Forum Post) ) - if it must be there at all?

That's just an example of how usability ought to be taken into account.

Finally, fwiw, I run a non-technical forum for a small group of
volunteers, and I have considered that it might work better for our
purposes to move it to a mailing list type of discussion group instead.
Mailing lists might be "so last century" but as seen on this group, they
can still work perfectly well for what they are intended for.

Margaret Hilsbos
Applications Development Group
Day & Zimmermann
(215) 299-5630