Workflow steps remaining in ready state for long

Ashish Paranjpe aaparanjpe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 09:38:34 EST 2007

Hi All,
I am facing a very atypical issue which I will try and explain below:

When a workflow is triggered in the system, the first step of the workflow
is a background step. Now Ideally, i would have expected this step to change
from "READY" state to "INPROCESS" within a fraction of a second. What
happens with our workflows is that these steps continue to remain  în
"READY" state for 2-3 hrs. Please note that there is no deadline monitoring
active for these steps.

I have 2 questions based on this:

1. How does the workflow system function with regard to changing a step
state?
2. More important quaetion : Why is this above mentioned problem occurring
in our system? Is it something to do with system performance?

I may have raised this question before, but could not get a proper solution
to the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Ashish