Aggregate Comments in Workflow

Mike Gambier madgambler at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 3 09:49:59 EST 2007

Hi SRamanan and Swathi,

I have already implemented this type use of texts in our system by writing a
Class wrapper around the standard Class CL_GUI_TEXTEDIT and embedded it in
several custom screens, admittedly not for Work Items but for other
application documents.

For the most part this is fine for small comments. I even implemented an
'auto-comment' feature to append user details and date/time strings to the
comments to form an audit trail of sorts. It wasn't that hard to do.

However, as always, there are limitations to consider when using the
underlying database table STXL in this fashion to record free text. The
first being that this is not what the table was designed for and therefore
performance will degrade over time when reading and writing to this table
unless you archive/purge agressivley to keep its size down.

Remember that this is a standard SAP table and so is often used in other
modules, such as standard texts for SD Output. Therefore you should think
long and hard about using it as a dumping ground for lots and lots of free
text. If you are thinking of adding a comments feature to every single Work
Item I wouldn't really recommend this as an option unless the WI and
therefore the comments have a very short lifespan and you think you can
handle the volumes. Obviously the standard archiving objects for Workflow
will not touch your comments if you choose to use STXL in this fashion, so
that would be extra development too.

Since the table points to Cluster data storage in the database there aren't
any real limits to the amount of text a user could enter. So to avoid people
writing essays we also enforced a maximum number of characters in some
cases.

MGT