Best Practices?

vijay srikanth vijay_d15 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 16 10:32:49 EDT 2007

Definitely, the SAP_WAPI_START_WORKFLOW should be used when the workflow itself is not dependent on events being fired, because events are very tricky. You must make sure that the event is not getting fired in 2 places, for different situations.

If you're basing your custom workflow on events there's this FM, advisable to create own events and then call FM SWE_EVENT_CREATE_IN_UPD_TASK which you can call in UPDATE task to start your workflow, and it works perfect.

Regards,
Vijay

To: sap-wug at mit.eduSubject: Best Practices?From: Hal_Fairless-NR at raytheon.comDate: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:09:21 -0700Workflow Folk,         I have recently encounter a situation where a workflow was being started directly, and although the required information had been added to the database, the Commit process had not completed and when the w/f tried to start, the necessary object(s) had not be instantiated.  We changed the process to initiate an 'event' and let the w/f processes take care of starting it and everything is now working as expected.  My QUESTIONS to you all are:           From a best practice's perspective, what are your thoughts on starting workflows directly???           When is it appropriate???           Have others experienced similar situations and specific solutions????   Regards and Thanks, Hal Fairless SAP Workflow Support RMS, Tucson