Exception Handling in ABAP OO and Workflow

Alon Raskin araskin at 3i-consulting.com
Tue Nov 14 11:05:13 EST 2006

So I finally took the plunge and created my first ABAP OO Workflow.

I implemented a class which inherits from IF_WORKFLOW, BI_PERSISTENT and BI_OBJECT.

Everything was going well till I tried to raise an exception from my method using the standard exception classes. Here is an excerpt from my code...

      IF sy-subrc <> 0.
      RAISE EXCEPTION type cx_bo_application.
    ENDIF.

When I compile I get the error saying that You cannot generate instances of the abstract class 'cx_bo_application'. I can see that the instantiation scope is marked as abstract but surely I don't have define a concrete child class of cx_bo_application for every exception that I want to raise? Or do I just need to do one per workflow (seems redundant).

Oh and I went to the method definition and checked the exception classes checkbox (in the class builder) and pasted in cx_bo_application. It seemed happy with that but it didn't make my syntax error go away.

Perhaps I am using the wrong syntax in the method ? I checked OSS... nothing. I checked SDN... nothing.

I am using ECC 6.0 with SAP_BASIS and SAP_ABA release 7.00

I will keep trying other things but I welcome your comments.

Alon

Your comments are welcome.