Using BDC in a FuncLoc workflow

Paul.Bakker@osr.treasury.qld.gov.au Paul.Bakker at osr.treasury.qld.gov.au
Tue Nov 7 20:52:24 EST 2006

G'day,

 I'm investigating how to create a functional location via a workflow. The
idea is to present the user with a form (roughly based on table IFLOT), and
then pass their input data to the BUS0010.CREATE method.

Fine so far. My problem is that the client has extended table IFLOT with Z*
fields (in a custom include). As far as I can see, there is no way to adapt
the CREATE method (which calls BAPI_FUNCLOC_CREATE) so that it will handle
the new Z* fields.

So what are my options? The only one I can think of, is to call the CREATE
method, and then execute a subsequent step to update the custom fields via
a BDC session on transaction IL02!

This is a yuk solution, because it is brittle, it splits the creation into
two steps, and I would have to introduce BDC error handling into the
workflow.

Do you have a better idea? Has anyone else had to execute BDCs via workflow
to make up for inflexible BAPis? I wonder what 'best practice' is.

thanx
Paul

Only an individual or entity who is intended to be a recipient of this e-mail may access or use the information contained in this e-mail or any of its attachments.  Opinions contained in this e-mail or any of its attachments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Queensland Treasury.

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged and the subject of copyright.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Queensland Treasury immediately and erase all copies of the e-mail and the attachments.  Queensland Treasury uses virus scanning software.  However, it is not liable for viruses present in this e-mail or in any attachment.