Creating Excel sheets in background [slightly OT]

Mike Pokraka asap at workflowconnections.com
Fri Nov 3 06:54:52 EST 2006

Hi Jocelyn, Kjetil & Andy,

Thanks for your feedback on this. I'll rather write one reply to everyone
to keep all info together.

Kjetil: You'll be pleased to hear that your suggestion won't work. Why
pleased? Because we don't have a .NOT team, and part of the reason it has
to be in background is that the universe doesn't run on Windows
(thankfully or we'd keep having to do the big bang thing all over again),
we have a significant portion of mac users (and possibly some Linux).

Andy: Yes, this is in many ways a unique environment. The FM's you mention
are the ones that won't cut it in background - they require OLE and a
SAPGUI session on a PC that has Excel installed.

Jocelyn: Good idea, similar to our current best attempt at a hack - we're
have some minor results using delimited files and using server cookies to
change the mime types to get it to look like an Excel file when it's
really a delimited file inside.

Part of the original problem is that we send out PDF's, but some info is
too complex for a PDF and needs to be in Excel. They even want formulas
and multiple sheets - oh whilst we're at it could we format it with pretty
colours and so on. Also playing with ideas of crowbar-ing data into a
template file....

Thanks for the input.
Cheers,
Mike

On Fri, November 3, 2006 03:00, Dart, Jocelyn wrote:
> Mike,
> What if you just created a raw tab-delimited file and included
> instructions in the message to suggest they convert to XLS on download
the attachment?

> Regards,
> Jocelyn Dart
> Senior Consultant
> SAP Australia Pty Ltd.

(ridiculous disclaimer snipped)

Of Mike Pokraka
> Sent: Friday, 03 November 2006 5:02 AM
> To: sap-wug at mit.edu
> Subject: Creating Excel sheets in background [slightly OT]
>
> Hi all,
>
> We have a requirement where a mail is sent out to a user with some info.
Basic stuff, however the twist here is that they require this as an
Excel
> spreadsheet.
>
> Easy enough to do in dialog, but does anyonw know how to create an Excel
spreadsheet attachment in background? All methods we've lookied at come
back to the use of OLE functions which require a GUI session of a user
with Excel installed. This must be completely in background.