WORKFLOW BEST PRACTICES

Munday,Sherie J. MUNDAYSJ at airproducts.com
Tue May 9 10:34:09 EDT 2006

Mark & Larry,
This is a very interesting conversation point which we have debated in-house as well.  There are certainly two aspects to a workflow developer.  The first skill set is that of the process analyst/ developer.  Understanding the business process and the "big picture" is essential to delivering a workflow that will benefit the business.  Being able to communicate with non-technical language to the business owners is often neccessary.  In those instances where this can be accompished with SAP delivered workflow tools and BOT's, the cost to develop and support can be minimal and does not require any ABAP skills.
This second skill is that of the ABAP programmer/ developer.  In the frequent circumstances where the standard delivered workflow tools and BOT's are not sufficient to meet the business needs, a talented programmer is needed.
If you are fortunate to have all of those skills in one individual, then in my humble opinion, you have the dream workflow developer.
(And by reading the emails in this group I can see that there are several of these experts out there.)  However, it is possible to have those two skills reside in 2 different people, or even in 2 different departments in a large global corporation.
Best of luck to all of us in our various workflow roles.
Cheers,
Sherie
  _____