Dialogue step after 'wait for event'

Mark Pyc mark.pyc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 04:48:20 EST 2006

G'day Bill,

Just to clarify...

You have n foreground steps. A wait for event. Subsequent foreground step
with same agent as the step before the wait?

If this is your chain then yes you are right the wait for event will break
the advance with dialog sequence. This is the way it is meant to be. Because
you need to wait for an ansyncronous update (presumably) to occur. The
nature of asynchronous updates is that the dialog users context is free from
having to wait for the update to occur.

Even though it may only take a fraction of a second in practice normally,
there can be delays during which the user could navigate entirely away from
the SAP Inbox.

SAP is a client server set-up. Once the dialog chain is broken, it can't be
re-established by the server.

The same would be true if your previous step was declared as an async method
and your wait step was replaced by the terminating event. The chain would
still be broken.

It's just a case of training your user to refresh their inbox and execute
the next item. Might even be worth including a reminder to do so in the long
text of the step prior to the wait.

Good luck,
Mark