SRM 4.0 SC Completion/Approval sequence & EU directive Article 32

Susan R. Keohan keohan at ll.mit.edu
Tue Mar 7 12:50:00 EST 2006

Hi Mark,

In our current EBP 3.5  environment, financial approvals are completed in EBP on the Shopping Cart
prior to the transferral to R/3 backend as a requisition.  In R/3, the buyer creates the PO from the
Req, with 'guidelines' to make changes only in the Purchase Order.  By urging the buyers to make the
changes only in the PO, not the requisition, we compare the PO to the req, and determine if
'significant changes' were made.  If so, we have workflow for monetary approvals in R/3 on the PO.
Not the best possible scenario, but it has worked for 3 years.

Now we are upgrading to SRM 5.0, Extended Classic.  Our intent is to have all approvals, financial
or otherwise, occur on the Cart.  The approved cart goes to the sourcing cockpit, as you no doubt
already know.  At this point, as the buyer is working on the Cart, our hope is that if any
substantial financial changes need to be made, the buyer contacts the responsible party before
creating the PO.  Of course, this is a little fuzzy, and is no more a rule than our 'guidelines' in
the current state. Once the PO gets created in SRM, there will be a minimum of approvals (by the
Purchasing Department).

Subsequent changes to Purchase Orders will also have approvals (financial and otherwise) but will
all take place in the SRM web front-end.  Much nicer for our users.

So, we already do what your client is contemplating, both in our 'as-is' and in our 'to-be', except
for the Extended Classic approach in the brave new world.

Hope this helps,
Sue