Sent an executable mail with SAP Workflow

Mike Pokraka wug.replies at workflowconnections.com
Tue Feb 28 13:44:48 EST 2006

Or perhaps Thunderbird, Mutt, Pine, Evolution, KMail, Eudora?

On a more seious note, the idea of "common" problem is debatable. Email
and workflow 'remove from other's inboxes' functionalities are
incompatible. Unlike work items, email is one-way communication (as anyone
knows who's ever tried to use Outlook's stupid 'recall' function), so once
it's sent it's gone. Trying to combine that with WF's
"reserve-item-and-nobody-else-sees-it-anymore" functionality is a bit of a
paradox. We might as well discuss time travel and whether it's possible
for a man to be his own mother (theoretically, yes). RSWUWFML2
notifications are only good for single-recipient type items, and usually
also only occasional users. If this is a frequent flow then get rid of
them alltogether. Or else replace the notification with a sendmail to a
group mailbox which many people can see.

An area to maybe look at is improving on the 'shotgun' approach of sending
to everyone. Or else it's also not really that difficult to create
parallel flows for each department/area. Create a dummy responsibility
rule with a DEPARTMENT container element, a responsibility for each dept,
and have a couple of parallel branches (one required to complete fork),
each binding a different hardcoded value to this rule.

Cheers
Mike

Alon Raskin wrote:
> What email client are you using Holk? Outlook? Lotus Notes?
>
> Alon Raskin
> e: araskin at 3i-consulting.com <mailto:araskin at 3i-consulting.com>
> p: +1 207 409 4983 (please note new number)

different departments, because it is unknown which department will treat
this task.

> I know two possibilities to realise this demand:
> 1) send a mail to every responsible with the send mail workflow element.
The problem is (as far as I know), that you can't sent an executable
attachment (for example the sales document ) with the workflow-element
"sent mail". To receive only a mail with text and the document number is
considered here to be user-unfriendly.

> 2) send a workitem and inform the responsibles by mail with an
executable
> attachment with the report RSWUWFML2.
> The problem with this procedure is, that if the first person opens the
workitem, the others will find no workitem in their workplace when they
execute the attachment. That means, that the other recipients have to
check several times if the first or other recipients have given the
workitem back. This is also considered to be user-unfriendly. As the
number of departements will ofen change, it would be difficult to creat
> workflow sending parallel workitems to each of them.
>
> I can't believe, that there is no elegant solution for this "common"
problem and I am sure that one of you has already solved it or has a
good
> idea for me.
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your help.
>
> Kind regards
> Holk Schwinge
>
> SAP Competence Center
> Logistik/Vertrieb und Distribution
>
> The contents of this e-mail are confidential. If you are not the named
addressee or if this transmission has been addressed to you in error,
please notify the sender immediately and then delete this e-mail. Any
unauthorized copying and transmission is forbidden. E-Mail transmission
cannot be guaranteed to be secure. If verification is required, please
request a hard copy version. Please note, that incoming email is not
checked regularly. This may result in a failure to comply with legal or
contractual terms. Therefore it is not sufficient, to sent any legal or
contractual declarations by email. In no event will Bertrandt be liable