Trigger an alert from a workflow

Smart, Richard Richard.Smart at Honeywell.com
Thu Feb 23 10:18:55 EST 2006

Does anyone know how to trigger an alert from a workflow? The type of
alert I'm referring to is one that is set up in transaction ALRTCATDEF,
and can be triggered using a workflow event. Part of the scenario is
defined in this weblog
https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/2755. In the SAP
help documentation on alerts
(http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/en/d0/5e073c8e56f658e10000
000a114084/frameset.htm) it states that alerts can be triggered from a
workflow, but I can't find any documentation on how this should be done.
One way would be to put an 'event creator' step in the workflow and
trigger the alert from there, but I wondered if there was a better way
of doing this. Any comments would be appreciated.

Richard