Mandatory comments after doc rejection

Gavin Mooney gavinmooney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 11:21:49 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm really not sure if this is possible but let's go:

Basis 620.

In a workflow that is a copy of a standard workflow I have a standard
(asynchronous) dialog task that takes the user to transaction QM02
(Change Quality Notification) where they either authorise or reject
the Notification by clicking the appropriate (standard) button on the
screen.

They can also do this by going to the transaction directly rather than
executing the work item. Either way, an event is raised (by status
management I believe) depending on whether the notification was
authorised or rejected and this completes the async task and the
workflow continues. Fine.

In the case of rejection, the client want the user to enter a reason,
they want this to be mandatory and they would like the reason to be
entered at the same time as the rejection. For auditing purposes they
also want the reason/comments to stay linked to the workflow.

My question what is the best way to do this?

- Creating an annex to the work item is simple, but I don't know if
you can make it mandatory and if the user does the rejection directly
in QM02 they'll never see the work item let alone create an annex.

- Form step to add comments? Would be nice but the workflow doesn't
Advance With Dialog because (I believe) the work item task is async =>
the user has to wait for the Form step work item to arrive in their
inbox and the process loses continuity.

- An 'After method' on the work item step? Not called if the user
doesn't execute the work item.

- User exit in QM02 with a popup for comments if the notification is
rejected? A bit heavy maybe but also how would the comments then be
linked to the workflow, especially if the user went to QM02 on their
own.

- Programming exit on the workflow step? Maybe an option - I couldn't
find much info about these exits in the documentation so don't know.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Many thanks,
Gavin