E-mail notification for error idoc's

Soady, Phil phil.soady at sap.com
Mon Apr 10 08:59:13 EDT 2006

IDOC error handling is split into 2 parts.
technical and application.

Technical: See we40.
Per technical problem you can start a task or WS.
Special note for Workflows or Tasks to be triggered by ALE inbound processing via WE40.

Workflows MUST contain an inbound parameter called IDOC_PACKET of type IDOC or IDOCAPPL.   Tasks must also have IDOC or IDOCAPPL as the object.

You can delegate IDOC or IDOCAPPL to get greater control of error handling.

Application:
The application should throw either the generic event IDOCAPPL.INPUTERROROCCURRED or it may throw an object specific error.
In the case of COND_A you should see the event IDOCCOND_A.INPUTERROROCCURRED  .

You can use your own workflows to handle the event.  ( a standard TS is already waiting there..)

Now, one of Workflows little tricks comes into play.

Standard tasks... in this case TS900062 could have been / should have been started.
Recall agent assignments on Tasks.
BUT now the big trick.  A  task can have a default rule.
In this case the agent default rule is 134.
So did teh task rule result in an agent ? If not then the task will not event start from the event.

You can now solve the issue in many ways.

Own TASK, Own WS. etc..

Just a tip on rule 134.
The default rule 134 reads the default customizing on the partner profile. (from we20)

If there is no entry there , rule 134  uses the system wide setting in we46.

I actually use the rule at customers, and place and org unit or position, in WE46 normally.

good luck

Phil Soady
Solution Architect
Netweaver Consulting