Generic Object Services user exit or BAdI (46C)

Kjetil Kilhavn KJETILK at statoil.com
Fri Apr 7 06:15:12 EDT 2006

This is somewhat off topic, but Generic Object Services is quite closely related to BOR which it seems usually is the domain of workflow developers, so I'll give it a shot. Besides, it's Friday so you need a mind-boggler for the afternoon (well, in Australia the working day is over by now).

We have several productive systems in our landscape, but only one of them has automatic forwarding set up for all users. Even with automatic forwarding the problem at hand wouldn't be solved.

After creating a quality notification with tasks, our users like to use the "Send object with note" function of GOS. The problem with this is that the objects can only be viewed in SAP. So if the user specifies an external e-mail address or we set up automatic forwarding the message will have an attachment that doesn't make any sense in the e-mail client.

One possible solution is to catch the action and instead send a message with a SAP Shortcut where the command is a transaction taking object type and ID to execute the Display method. I was wondering if anyone has tried this or something similar. If there are user exits in the sendmail functionality those can probably also be used.

I debugged the GOS a little to see if there is a user exit or BAdI that could come handy for this purpose, but I had no such luck. What I found is that class CL_SO_SRV_SEND_OBJECT takes care of the sending with the EXECUTE method. The class has an event MESSAGE_SENT which it seems is not used, but after sending the message the event SERVICE_SUCCEEDED is published. Two event handlers (ON_SERVICE_SUCCEED) handle this, one in CL_GOS_SRV_VIEW_DOCS and one in CL_SO_SRV_SENDHIST.

It seems modification is the solution if we are going to try this stunt.
--
Kjetil Kilhavn, Statoil ØFT KTJ BAS DEV SAP

this message.
Thank you.