Start conditions and currency handling (version 46C)

Mike Pokraka wug.replies at workflowconnections.com
Mon Sep 19 10:10:17 EDT 2005

Hi Kjetil,
Just in case we're suffering a woods/trees moment, a simplistic approach
is of course to code the whole condition into an attribute. An instance
where I've used it was something like a table with company code, limit and
currency. The attribute simply told WF whether it required approval or
not.
Cheers
Mike

Kjetil Kilhavn wrote:
> Well, I thought it would be neater to be able to say that for all
companies, no matter which local currency the company has, there is a
limit of i.e. 5.000 NOK (which happens to correspond to ca. 650 EUR -
but that isn't really important in this context). Then, when an object
type had an amount, SAP should automatically convert it to the default
currency using the current date and some configurable rate type, and
compare the amount with the limit. Why would I want to have to create an
additional attribute on every object type for the sole purpose of
ensuring that the amount is in a specific currency.

> I don't ask much :->
> Have a good weekend.
> --
> Kjetil Kilhavn, Statoil KTJ IT BKS

Of Mike Pokraka
> Sent: 15. september 2005 12:50
> To: SAP Workflow Users' Group
> Subject: Re: Start conditions and currency handling (version 46C)
>
> Hi Kjetil,
> Isn't that why we see attributes like 'AmountInLocalCurrency'?
> Thru your attrib would convert it into a predefined standard which shall
be followed.
> An alternative is to code your comparison value into a virtual attribute
which reads it from customizing or wherever and converts it to the
currency specified by your currency attribute. Thus your condition would
be If OBJ.ClearedAmount < OBJ.Tolerance

> Cheers
> Mike
>
> Kjetil Kilhavn wrote:
>> I am working on a (thank you Sarbannes-Oxley for keeping me employed)
solution to notify about cleared inventory differences.
>> When an inventory difference is cleared, the cleared amount is not
available in the inventory record (object type BUS3021). Thus I have
created two virtual attributes for the amount and the currency which I

>> find from the material documents created when the difference is
> cleared.
>> As it is now, the requirement is that the workflow should start if the
>
>> amount is non-zero. If the requirement changes I suppose absolute
values can be handled using OR between e.g. > 20 and < -20. However,
how can I specify the currency field for the amount attribute?
>> I haven't found any place in the condition editor to indicate that the
>
>> condition I am setting up is an amount condition, so how will the
condition editor know that my currency attribute belongs to my value
attribute in order to determine if the amount has to be translated to
the condition currency?
>> As far as I know there are no structures containing amount + currency,
>
>> the closest I have found is T001R_BF (in our system 5433 structures
contains currency key - I must admit I have not checked them all).
However, even if I use a structure with amount and currency, how will
the condition evaluation function know which translation date and
exchange rate type to use?
>> When the argument about currency handling was served in an earlier
thread I accepted that happily, but now I have begun wondering what it

>> really means that there is currency handling. SAP's delivered examples
>
>> seem to indicate that the amount has to be converted before it is
served to the condition editor, but I don't think they would call that

>> currency handling unless the marketing people have taken over the
> whole show.
>> --
>> Kjetil Kilhavn, Statoil KTJ IT BKS
information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is
intended for the addressee only. Any unauthorised use, dissemination of
the information or copying of this message is prohibited. If you are
not the addressee, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete this message.