Start conditions and currency handling (version 46C)

Kjetil Kilhavn KJETILK at statoil.com
Thu Sep 15 05:50:06 EDT 2005

I am working on a (thank you Sarbannes-Oxley for keeping me employed)
solution to notify about cleared inventory differences.

When an inventory difference is cleared, the cleared amount is not
available in the inventory record (object type BUS3021). Thus I have
created two virtual attributes for the amount and the currency which I
find from the material documents created when the difference is cleared.

As it is now, the requirement is that the workflow should start if the
amount is non-zero. If the requirement changes I suppose absolute values
can be handled using OR between e.g. > 20 and < -20. However, how can I
specify the currency field for the amount attribute?

I haven't found any place in the condition editor to indicate that the
condition I am setting up is an amount condition, so how will the
condition editor know that my currency attribute belongs to my value
attribute in order to determine if the amount has to be translated to
the condition currency?

As far as I know there are no structures containing amount + currency,
the closest I have found is T001R_BF (in our system 5433 structures
contains currency key - I must admit I have not checked them all).
However, even if I use a structure with amount and currency, how will
the condition evaluation function know which translation date and
exchange rate type to use?

When the argument about currency handling was served in an earlier
thread I accepted that happily, but now I have begun wondering what it
really means that there is currency handling. SAP's delivered examples
seem to indicate that the amount has to be converted before it is served
to the condition editor, but I don't think they would call that currency
handling unless the marketing people have taken over the whole show.
--
Kjetil Kilhavn, Statoil KTJ IT BKS

this message.
Thank you.