Portal - UWL vs. SAP Business Workplace

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Thu Sep 1 23:48:22 EDT 2005

Folks,
Substitution IS standard in the UWL as of EP 6.0 support stack 12.

Forwarding, reserve/replace and the other items you specifically
mentioned Sherman are also already included in the UWL.  As always make
sure you are on the highest support stack to get the maximum
bug/performance improvements and latest functionality.

You should also be aware that SAP considers the UWL as the main workflow
inbox from a future-direction perspective.

While it still has a few rough edges compared to the more mature SBWP
these are gradually being smoothed out.  Similarly the documentation on
configuration options is improving.

As Peter has pointed out the UWL has some advantages when dealing with
web-based services.

It is also the only inbox which allows you to easily combine all work
items from all of your SAP systems.

Another consideration is that the UWL has already become not just the
workflow inbox but the Alert Management inbox as well, so it has dual
functionality.

You also get Collaboration Tasks (ad-hoc workflow ) in the UWL which are
not available in SBWP.

Regards,
Jocelyn Dart
Senior Consultant
SAP Australia Pty Ltd.
Level 1/168 Walker St.
North Sydney
NSW, 2060
Australia
T   +61 412 390 267
M   + 61 412 390 267
E   jocelyn.dart at sap.com
http://www.sap.com <http://www.sap.com/>

The information contained in or attached to this electronic transmission
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended only for
the person or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution,
copying, review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of this
electronic transmission or the information contained in it is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error,
please immediately contact the sender to arrange for the return of the
original documents.

Electronic transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure and
accordingly, the sender does not accept liability for any such data
corruption, interception, unauthorized amendment, viruses, delays or the
consequences thereof.

Any views expressed in this electronic transmission are those of the
individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the
sender is authorized to state them to be the views of SAP AG or any of
its subsidiaries. SAP AG, its subsidiaries, and their directors,
officers and employees make no representation nor accept any liability
for the accuracy or completeness of the views or information contained
herein. Please be aware that the furnishing of any pricing information/
business proposal herein is indicative only, is subject to change and
shall not be construed as an offer or as constituting a binding
agreement on the part of SAP AG or any of its subsidiaries to enter into
any relationship, unless otherwise expressly stated.