Portal - UWL vs. SAP Business Workplace

Peter Carroll Peter.Carroll at WaterCorporation.com.au
Thu Sep 1 20:04:30 EDT 2005

We also coded the substitution function for use inthe portal, basically a
copy of the standard SBWP code.

But when comparing the UWL and the SBWP my question is why would anyone use
something that is a half baked copy of the real thing ?

The UWL is flaky and hard to configure - maybe it is just me but I still
cannot get the same task to come up under more than one filter on the open
tasks tab etc

Other points to consider
*The UWL is slower than the SBWP.

*Depending on the nature of the task, business HTML in separate window or
some java ones, the task just executed is still in the open tasks list after
it has been just processed - users hate this as they are unsure if item has
been executed or not.

*Under some circumstances if the user double clicks on the item a lock error
is received, a note describes this but offers no solution.

*The documentation to use and configure the UWL is totally inadaquate and
unless one of the examples in it exactly matches your needs you will
struggle

*The loss of chained execution(advance with dialogue) is hard to take and
makes simple things complex.

Be careful if you use the UWL, but in my opinion you are better off on just
one platform as you will be hard pressed to satisfy users of both with the
one WF. In particular screens that use business HTML, are generated from the
container of the WF or are written in Java present major problems when used
in the SBWP.

Peter Carroll

  _____