Substitutions - access and security

Trant, David David.Trant at andrew.com
Thu Sep 1 11:05:35 EDT 2005

We also looked at using work centers so I don't have to be the only
lucky recipient of all the error messages.  I can't remember all the
stumbling blocks as that was too many brain cells ago, but we had
difficulty as well and abandoned the effort.  I'd love to hear from
anyone who was successful in getting work centers or some other approach
to work.  In my ideal world, I would configure a work center or other
type of object to contain two or three workflow administrators and then
assign that object as the overall system workflow administrator (right
now my userID is hard-coded).  Further, I would create a similar object
for each major workflow we have, and assign both that object and the
overall administrator (so I still see their error messages) as its local
administrator (in the WF builder, Goto -> Basic data; Responsibs. tab;
System administrator for workflow).  In 4.6C there seems to only be one
value possible at this point, so I'm guessing I'd have to roll up my
combination of "admins for Workflow A" plus "overall system WF admins"
together into some object, and then assign it.

Is there anyone who has done this and is willing to share their tips and
tricks?  What did you use -- work centers, org units, roles?  Where are
work centers even defined?  They are not in PPOMW.  I'm kind of
remembering now that was one of my stumbling blocks ... just figuring
out how and where to define the darn things.  I recall reading that work
centers were suggested to keep separate from org units which might be
defined along hierarchical lines.  Would responsibility rules do the
trick just as well?

Thanks,
David