Multiline element in Rule resolution?

Hilsbos, Margaret A Margaret.Hilsbos at dayzim.com
Thu Sep 1 10:46:25 EDT 2005

Hello workflow gurus,

I think this should be an easy one but I am stumped and need to resolve quickly. I searched the archive but didn't see a clear answer to this relatively basic question.

Short version:
How can one define a rule to test a value appearing at any position in a multiline element?

Detailed version:

I have a multiline element that I pass to a rule.  In this multiline element the value 'ABC' can appear anywhere in the list: first, last, third, anywhere. I tried defining my rule as such:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Responsibility Specs

Name_____________of________________to

MyElement________ABC______________ABC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That definition only works if 'ABC' is the first and only value in the element.  If I add a wildcard at the end, like so -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Responsibility Specs

MyElement________ABC______________ABC*

It still only works if 'ABC' is the first and ONLY value in the element.

And of course SAP doesn't allow use of wildcard (*) at beginning of value. (Why not?) But that's a question for another day, because evidently it doesn't test the values as one concatenated string anyway, which was what I was wondering.

Before you ask - the element IS defined as multiline in the rule container.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing?  How can one define a rule to test a value appearing at any position in a multiline element? Or is it not possible?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Margaret Hilsbos
Day & Zimmermann