- customizing

Trant, David David.Trant at andrew.com
Thu Oct 27 12:50:14 EDT 2005

You would not actually create copies of the same task in each system (in
your example, TS9010001 turning into T9020001).  You would simply
transport the task and it would retain its name in all systems.  The
prefix simply shows where it came from and has nothing to do with the
prefix of the system in which it now resides.  The only reason to keep
separate prefixes in separate systems is to avoid conflict on that
fateful day on which you must make a change directly in a target system.

Let's say you used prefix 901 for all systems, and in development you
had created several objects:  9010001, 9010002, 9010003, etc.  Now your
development system keeps track of where you are in this progression via
an index.  Let's say the index is currently sitting at 12, meaning the
next object number to be assigned will be 9010012.  Now let's say you
transported some, but not all of your objects to a target system.  In
that system, the index sits at 1 and stays there because you're not
developing anything there.  Let's say you transport the following:
9010003, 9010004 and 9010005.  Now let's say there's an emergency and
your development system is down and your boss approves making a fix
directly in the target system -- a situation to generally be avoided at
all costs, but it could happen.  Let's say your fix involves creating a
new object.  Since the index sits at 1, that number assigned will be
9010001.

Now it's a few weeks later, and you've finally finished the development
that included objects 9010001 and 9010002.  You transport them to your
target system and what happens?  Your emergency fix gets wiped out when
object 9010001 gets replaced by the newly transported version!  Had your
target system used a different prefix, then the emergency object would
have value, say, 9020001, and transporting 9010001 would have no effect.

I know it's a long-winded explanation, but hopefully it clears things
up.  Bottom line:  once you set all the prefixes, you can pretty much
forget about them and all objects in all systems will typically be
numbered with whatever prefix you choose for your development system,
901 in this case.

Good luck,
David