SRM 4.0 Item-Based Approval Question

Seko, Ryan rseko at seattleschools.org
Thu Nov 10 14:18:14 EST 2005

Hi All,

My company will soon be upgrading from SRM 2.0 (EBP 3.5) to SRM 4.0 and
I'm planning to redesign our custom shopping cart approval process at
the same time.  Our main approval is based on cost center with the
possibility of up to three more approvals after that.  Currently, we use
dynamic parallel processing to send the entire shopping cart to all cost
center approvers (including items with multiple account assigments).  It
looks like SAP's Item-Based Approval might work for us, but one concern
I have is if it can handle items with multiple account assignments.
Does anyone know if the Badi can be programmed to have a single item
sent to multiple approvers?   From everything I've read, it appears
everything has to be done through the Badi since the item-based and
n-level workflows can't be copied then modified like past standard
workflows.  Is that correct?

While I'm at it, I'll throw this one out too (in case I don't use the
item-based approval).  I have a function to look up the cost center
approver(s) from a custom table.  Is it more efficient to call this
function from a object attribute or from a rule within the workflow?
>From reading the "Practical Workflow" book it appears I would have to
add the attribute to a subtype of AAGENT to maintain ad-hoc approver
functionality.  Would I lose that functionality if my function is called
from a workflow rule?

Thanks for your help,
Ryan