Estimating workflow hours

Chatterjee, Partha (US - San Ramon) pchatterjee at deloitte.com
Tue Mar 22 11:45:35 EST 2005

Hi Rick,

I second what Mark says and find that this is one of the most difficult aspects of Workflow projects for the exact reasons he stated.

That being said, I use the following rules of thumb:

2 weeks for out of the box SAP delivered workflow with little customization
4 weeks for the average workflow where there is some custom ABAP/Object development and trigger creation
8 weeks for ground-up custom work with heavy ABAP and object development.

I find it hardest to judge between 4 - 8 weeks.  The problem I find many times is that sometimes its harder to adjust a SAP delivered workflow for client needs versus developing a new one in an area where workflow is not well-developed.

As you can imagine, most of these timelines don't fit very well within most standard project methodologies, especially when they start getting near the 2 month range.

With regards,
Partha