Estimating workflow hours

Mark Pyc mark.pyc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 09:09:18 EST 2005

How long is a piece of string?

This really is very difficult. Implementing a WF could mean anything
from turning on EBP shopping cart approval to designing your own
Material Master review and distribution WF. It could mean anything
from a day to 6 months.

What I find I need to stress when quoting is the clear distinction
between delivery of a built WF ready for integration testing versus
supporting a WF through to Production. One of the most time consuming
aspects of delivery can be the support of the testing process. If the
customer is not already live with Workflow and doesn't already have a
competent WF administrator, testing can involve much hand holding.

I also find that you need to allow a buffer for OSS type problems.
Almost every site I go to will require at least one problem
investigation that leads to an OSS note needing to be applied. It's
very difficult to allow for these accurately beforehand.

Anyone who reads this list also knows that sometimes OSS won't help
you. Sometimes what seems very simple during process design can have
you pulling your hair out because WF simply wasn't designed that way.
A recent example for me was the request to prevent forwarding of
workitems between company codes - sounds simple until you try to do
it.

The level of WF already in place will have a direct impact on the
development cycle. If the client is already WF savey, they are in a
position to know what they want. If it is the first real WF, then the
development cycle also includes a good deal of knowledge transfer. I
truly believe that a good consultant should not necessarily deliver
what the client asks for, but attempt to deliver what they need. This
process can involve the need to build prototypes, run workshops,
redesign etc which is much more time consuming than rocking onto a
site with a competent WF Admin who drops a well written spec in front
of you and says 'Build this'.

Finally any quote needs to take into account the quality of the consultant.

I wish you all the best, but I don't hold out much hope for an
accurate methodology for estimating WF delivery.

Have fun,
Mark