AW: Triggering workflow from BSP

pramod reddy rkpramod at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 18:14:18 EDT 2005

Thanks Nate for your inputs.

I agree with you, But here our process is not relavant SAP functionality. They are completely custom process. SAP's BSP & WebFlow are being used as platforms to impliment as the client is looking for web-based interface for the existing request-approval process. No details about the "Request" are being saved with in SAP, SAP just provides BSP page to submit the request and triggers workflow. And workflow container holds the data[request & approve data] till the end of workflow/process.

Hence no custom business objects( or tables) being created, there by no events associated with.

Yes, no hardcoding of Agents. They are being determined from Org. Structure or from Cusotm table.

I could trigger workflow with 'SAP_WAPI_START_WORKFLOW'.

Regards,
Pramod

Workflow <nathanfox at swissinfo.org> wrote:
Hi Pramod

I did this once for an invoice approval workflow.  The approval took place in a web-based java application which connected to SAP via RFC:  I tried to avoid as much as possible embedding the workflow logic in the external (for you BSP) application,  that meant coupling the BSP page loosely to the workflow engine using as much as possible the raising of Business Object Events.

- could you start your workflow with the raising of an event instead of 'SAP_WAPI_START_WORKFLOW'?
- could you use a SAP rule for finding the agents instead of  hard-coding them in the container?

The danger is  there that you end up reprogramming a lot of functionality that the workflow-engine already does.  We ended up starting a full fledged SAP workflow in the background (no body actually used the SAP inbox) that was just event-triggered via the web-based screens, data was updated via  BAPIs and the workflow via SAP_WAPIs.

Just a few points you might consider which would make the design of your workflow more flexible.

Yours truly
Nate