Passing Values from the WF back to the triggering CIC front OfficeProcess

Alon Raskin araskin at 3i-consulting.com
Mon Jul 18 10:37:16 EDT 2005

Hi Raul,

I just did a quick test. I created a WF which has 3 container operations and then a dialog step. I triggered the WF by calling SWW_WI_START_SIMPLE. The WF executed all the way in a synchronous manner. This means that all the container operations executed under the Initiators user ID. The next step of this step is to actually put in a background step and see if the WF continues to execute synchronously.

My hypothesis is that the background step should be marked as a dialog step and the agent should be set to _WF_INITIATOR. In this case (I am hoping) the WF will not route a work item but simply execute the step under the user's User ID hence continuing the chain of synchronous steps. If that is the case then you should be able to return something back from the WF container.

The only issue I see with this is that of performance. Executing a whole WF (depending on size) in a synchronous manner can impact performance as none of the steps are executed in batch. This means the user has to wait for the WF to complete before returned back to the CIC.

I dare say that Dave Weston may have something to say about this as I believe that is the WF/CIC guru around here.....

Alon Raskin
e: araskin at 3i-consulting.com <mailto:araskin at 3i-consulting.com>
p: +61 3 9625 2189 (Head Office)
f:  +61 3 8610 1239