Hyperlink to a file in workitem description

Alon Raskin araskin at 3i-consulting.com
Thu Jul 14 09:39:26 EDT 2005

I could be wrong but I think you will find that security settings in Outlook/Explorer will prevent you from linking to a local file. Think about it. I could send you a link to your format.exe on your C drive and could have you format your hard drive just by clicking on the link.

With Desktop Workplace, we had to create a Asynchronous Protocol Handler to handle local file name hyperlinks. So now the user clicks on dw:\\blahblajlb and that is then handled by the local dw.exe file. Of course to do this you need to be knowledgeable in Windows Programming (C/C++, Delphi, VB, etc) and Windows registry settings. You can read more about Asynch Protocol Handlers on the MS site at http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/networking/pluggable/pluggable.asp.

Regards,

Alon Raskin
e: araskin at 3i-consulting.com <mailto:araskin at 3i-consulting.com>
p:  +1 207 756 0370