rswwdhex - job gets cancelled due to locking issue

Rick Sample Rick.Sample at gbe.com
Tue Jul 12 09:10:35 EDT 2005

Had the same issue. Here is what I found and what we did to correct.

If multiple instances of SWWDHEX are running we get locks. I verified
and
can reproduce this and fixed. Here is what I did.
Kill all SWWDHEX and have BASIS reschedule just one.
Schedule SWWDHEX to run every X time.

Still don't know why it stopped but I assume I ran the config as
myself. SWU3
and caused mult instances to be running.
BASIS probably runs SWU3 for the simple fact that it SWU3 should only
be run
by a user that has SAP_ALL / SAP_NEW.
Reason: WF-BATCH inherits the rights of the user running SWU3. No more.
No less.
(You can search for responses from Jocelyn Dart and in "Practical WF
for SAP".)

WF-BATCH should not be used for batch processing like SWWDHEX, SWWERRE,
SWWERRE, etc.
Use some other batch user for batch processing.

SWWA set to run periodically. Like every 5 mins.
SWWB runs per instance of a deadline.
(I could have these backwards. Look them up to be sure)

SWWA or SWWB? Depends on what you want.
If you have few deadlines, run per instance and it will add a batch for

each instance. See SM37 and you will see these being added per
deadline.
Or, if you have lots of deadlines. set to just periodically, it should
rescheduled ONE
instance to run every X time.

Let me know if this helps. I am interested in what works for you.
(And if I made any incorrect statement I am sure someone will let me
know)

Rick Sample
SAP Workflow Analyst/Developer
Graybar, Inc.
11885 Lackland Rd.
63146-4208
314.573.5822
Rick.Sample at GBE.com

>>> keohan at ll.mit.edu 7/12/2005 7:34 >>>
Hi all,

We are running on R/3 4.6c.

We had RSWWDHEX running without incident until last September, when it
stopped, I don't know why.
When the matter was brought to my attention, we re-scheduled it via
SWWB (or is it SWWA, I can't be
sure because Basis does it). The interval between runs is 20 minutes,
which should be sufficient,
since there are probably less than 5 workitems 'waiting' for a deadline
at any given time.

Anyway, the job gets finishes, but fails to reschedule itself daily (no
specific time, it could fail
to reschedule at 5:30, it could fail to reschedule at 7:30...). The
system log from SM21 says
'Job SWWDHEX is currently locked' and the detail entry follows:

> Within background processing, it was found that the specified job is

> being edited, for example, another user edits the job or the run-time

> system of background processing is accessing the job. Please attempt
> execute the action required by you with the job at a later date.
>
> If, in spite of repeated attempts, this should not be successful,
that
> could be related to problems in the locking system (enqueue server):
For
> example, "locking corpses" could be available. Please check that with

> the transaction SM12. You can also test the function efficiency of
your
> locking system there by means of the displayed diagnosis.

I am sure we can reschedule with a longer interval between runs, but
not sure if this will actually
solve the problem. Has anyone out there dealt with this ? OSS, and SDN
search of this archive
yield no joy.

Happy WF-ing!
Sue