Inbox performance

Mark Pyc markpyc at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 25 10:25:32 EST 2005

G'day Cristian,

There are a few possible culprits.

The first is a setting in the individual users Workflow inbox settings.
Ensure that the users do not have "Display Work item texts in Logon
Language" selected. If they do the system has to reinterpret ever workitem
text each time the inbox is opened. Really even if the workitem short text
is in another language, regular users will become familiar with what the
texts mean. Even if English is not their language of choice they will learn
over time that "Review Invoice" means they have an invoice to review... a
bit pig headed I know, but thats the way it works.

The second big thing to consider is simply how many Workitems you have in
your system. The more "Open" ie not Completed or Cancelled workitems you
have in the system the slower the inbox will operate. You may need to
consider an archiving/deletion solution. This is not just in the individuals
inbox, but in the system as a whole. If some WFs have been badly designed
they may not complete properly as will over time slow the system. Even
completed or cancelled Workitems should be cleaned up but I don't think the
impact is as bad due to the way the system tables are indexed and accessed.

Tell the group that neither of these are the issue and maybe there will be
some more suggestions...

Have fun,
Mark