Trouble using a static method of an ABAP class in functional context

RomanWeise@gmx.net RomanWeise at gmx.net
Thu Dec 1 12:54:02 EST 2005

Hi all,

to reduce the number of container operations in my workflow, I try to use
the new feature of functional methods for parameters in a workflow step.

I built an ABAP class which implements the necessary interface for ABAP
class in WF and a static method with my "business logic". This method has 4
importing parameters and a returning parameter which has a structured data
type.

Now i designed a mail step and tried to pass the email address with the
following
statement:

%classname.methodname(PAR1=&StepContainValue1&;PAR2=&Step...).structurefield%

But this results in a message that my data binding has a syntax error.

I already replaced the method with an alias -> no effect. When i use a
instance method notation (define a container element of my classtype and
replace % by &) the syntax seems to be ok. If i do not specify the field of
my structure, the system complains that the resulttype is not compatible
which is totally correct and shows that the method call is ok (no typos or
stuff).

Has anyone an idea if accessing a subfield of the returnstructure is limited
to instance methods or any ideas what i do wrong.

Thanks a lot

Roman Weise

PS: i do not really like the option of using a instance method as it would
result in defining an additional step to create my instance, which i try to
abvoid by using this new technique.