A Question about Event Creation Using Message Control

Christian Buhr christian at diebuhrs.de
Tue Aug 9 02:55:03 EDT 2005

Hi David,
maybe I'm not exactly understand everything what you wrote, but I think we had
at least a related requirement.

The event-linkage for one event "CREATED" was included into 15 workflow
templates.
Our first attempt was to create one check function module to be used in each and
every linkage. Based on a customizing table and the information in the
event-container, only one event-linkage was correct and this kicked off the
appropriate process. The other fourteen events didn't make it through the
check.

This may result in performance issues if you're dealing with a lot of workflow
templates and loads of events.

This lead to our second attempt we're using now:
Instead of using the check function module, we've created a custom receiver type
function module. We could utilize the customizing table already existing from
our first attempt. But with this solution only one function module call is
executed per event (not 15 as with our initial solution) to determine the
correct workflow template. Actually the situation is satisfying (we're not
productive, but at a very late stage of development).

Our reason for going down this route: We didn't want to code all the
event-creating ourselfes but use the SAP-delivered standards. Thus only the
"CREATED" event was existing for us to know that a workflow should be
triggered.

Regards
Christian

Consultant