Webflow step - error "XML tag <ProcessInstanceKey> not available"

Rankin, Andrew Andrew.Rankin at bluescopesteel.com
Mon Aug 8 21:37:09 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am working on a webflow scenario that integrates a process between two
SAP systems -being R/3 Enterprise and SRM 4.0. The idea is that a
workflow in started in R/3 when an invoice is held. It collects various
pieces of information then starts a corresponding workflow in SRM using
a webflow activity, and should then wait until the SRM workflow is
complete. The SRM workflow will request creation of a service
confirmation to an agent. Once this is complete, the SRM workflow ends
and the R/3 workflow will continue from there.

Because I haven't worked with the webflow step before, I started by just
creating a simple example. In the example, an R/3 workflow fills a
container element with the value of a user-id and passes it to an SRM
workflow which sends an email to this user. A reference workflow is
created with the same container element. I just wanted to see the
process working so I know how to write up a spec for the real workflow
scenario mentioned above and be sure that it is going to work!

I have the example working to the point where the initiating R/3
workflow successfully sends the wf-xml message to the SRM system, which
starts the SRM workflow (passing the container value of my user-id
correctly). The SRM workflow completes ok. But before anything else can
happen, the R/3 workflow goes into error. The error message is "XML tag
<ProcessInstanceKey> not available". When I checked the request /
response messages (with transaction SWXML), this is what the
"CreateProcessInstance.Request (received response)" looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

- <WfMessage Version="1.1"
xmlns="http://www.wfmc.org/standards/docs/Wf-XML">

- <WfMessageHeader>

  <Response />

<Key>HTTP://stlmelhsapd.stlmel.bsl.net:8002/SAP/BC/WORKFLOW_XML/?~protoc
ol=04&~localkey=WS90200001</Key>

  </WfMessageHeader>

- <WfMessageBody>

- <CreateProcessInstance.Response>

  <ProcessInstanceKey />

  </CreateProcessInstance.Response>

  </WfMessageBody>

  </WfMessage>

So it seems like the response from SRM is not being correctly formed
when it responds to the initial request from R/3.

I found a message previously in this group which suggested that it might
be an authentication problem. I tried using an authentication rule in
the header of the SRM workflow (passing a user and password to it) but
it didn't make any difference. Does anyone have any idea what is going
wrong or what I should check?

Thankyou!

Kind Regards,

Andrew Rankin

+61 0437991735

EOM

NOTICE - This message and any attached files may contain information that is confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and that any dissemination, copying or use of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the information therein. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.