Substitution questions

Nat 4 Govender ngovender4 at toyota.co.za
Wed Sep 8 01:15:39 EDT 2004

In our substitution workflow we create a new profile of the who is going to
be substitute called Z:and the user ID, eg Z:NAT and this new profile is
added to the substitute for the period of the substitution.

Regards
Nat Govender
Toyota South Africa
SAP Support  - SAP Workflow
Ext.              : 32645
Direct Line : 031 - 910 2645
Fax              : 031 - 902 9633
E-Mail         : ngovender4 at toyota.co.za

                                                                          =
=0D
             "Dart, Jocelyn"                                              =
=0D
             <jocelyn.dart at sap                                            =
=0D
             .com>                                                      To=
=0D
             Sent by: SAP              SAP-WUG at MITVMA.MIT.EDU             =
=0D
             Workflow                                                   cc=
=0D
             <Owner-SAP-WUG at MI                                            =
=0D
             TVMA.MIT.EDU>                                         Subject=
=0D
                                       Re: Substitution questions         =
=0D
                                                                          =
=0D
             2004/09/08 03:42                                             =
=0D
             AM                                                           =
=0D
                                                                          =
=0D
                                                                          =
=0D
             Please respond to                                            =
=0D
               SAP Workflow                                               =
=0D
               Users' Group                                               =
=0D
             <SAP-WUG at MITVMA.M                                            =
=0D
                  IT.EDU>                                                 =
=0D
                                                                          =
=0D
                                                                          =
=0D

Hi Partha,
1) Yes you cannot chain substitutes - this is *not* missing functionality -
this is for financial delegation/audit/security reasons. I.e. If I
substitute my work to someone else, this does *not* in any way imply that I
am ok with them sending it on to a 3rd person.

2) No - trouble is that its very difficult if not impossible to know in
advance what authorisations they are going to need for the underlying
transactions/routines that may be called by workflow.  Better approach is
to consider who will be substitutes up front in your design, so that either
they are peers with similar authorisations, or you build your workflow to
cater for possible action by a substitute, e.g. use user decisions (which
don't require extra authorisation) and then perform updates in background.

Rgds,
Jocelyn