Event queue configuration

Alon Raskin araskin at 3i-consulting.com
Fri Oct 22 08:59:45 EDT 2004

Hi Patrice,
=20
We too are an IS-U site using event queing. Our volumes are also =
similar.
=20
=20
1. What we found are some issues with the job that is executed to =
deliver the events. We ended writing our own. An example of one of the =
issues we found are:
a) One event has two receivers. The batch job has no such concept so its =
happy to trigger one of the event receivers but leave the other one for =
the next run. This caused us issues and so we wrote our version of =
RSWEQSRV which ensured that all receivers of a particular event were =
triggered during the same run.
=20
As for your question, I am afraid we are not aware of any formula. We =
did a lot of load testing and hence determined the optimal amount of =
events that should be delivered. The answer will vary depending on what =
your workflows do when they trigger and what size system/db server you =
have. Best way is to get some techy nerds (you know the guys with =
propeller hats) and get them to give you the answer.
=20
2. As I mentioned in point 1, we wrote our own monitoring tool. I wasn't =
involved in the performance analysis so I dont really have access to =
that code but again, I say 'Bring out the Propeller Heads' (think of =
Bring out the Gymp from Pulp Fiction).
=20
3. One BIG thing we found is that when we switched on the event queue is =
that some of our workflows stopped working. We saw error like 'INSTLN is =
not a valid object' etc. Turns out that this has happened because people =
have been calling SWE_EVENT_CREATE directly rathern then the macro =
swc_event_create. The problem with calling the FM SWE_EVENT_CREATE =
directly is that it does not convert the container to persistent mode so =
that the data commited in the table SWEQCONT is wrong (ie. the key is =
not stored but rather a runtime identifier). Then when the event queue =
job tries to deliver the event, the container data is determined to be =
rubbish. Take a look at the inbox of the WF admin and see if you have =
any mails that could shed some light on your emmacase.created problem.
=20
Alon Raskin
e: araskin at 3i-consulting.com <mailto:araskin at 3i-consulting.com>=20