Copying Business Objects

Bibby, David david.bibby at Linklaters.com
Thu Jun 24 08:09:42 EDT 2004

Hello,
We have a problem where we have a number of different workflows that are ba=
sed on the same Business Object.

Due to reasons outside of the development teams control, some workflow deve=
lopments based on this business object have been in our QA system for a few=
 months.

This has led to a situation whereby bugs found later on the same business o=
bject for other workflows in PRD have not been transported into production =
because the previous BO changes for new and existing workflows are not yet =
in production.

Transporting the bug fix could cause other workflows that have been changed=
 in DEV and QA, to fail in PRD because only the bug fix on the business obj=
ect would be transported to PRD and we can't transport the previous develop=
ments because the users are still deciding whether to sign them off for rel=
ease into PRD.

My workflow question is, what if anything can I do from a dev't point of vi=
ew to resolve this, or avoid it happening in the future ?

I had thought of taking a copy of the old business object and the new one, =
overwriting the new one with the old one, fixing the bug and transporting i=
nto PRD.
However I believe that would only copy the code and not the interface detai=
ls of each method. Would I be left with a corrupted BO in that the old code=
 would be there but with the new interface parameters of the method calls ?

Many Thanks=20
David

This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or=20
otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal
rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us know
by reply and then delete it from your system; you should not
copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. All messages
sent to and from Linklaters may be monitored to ensure compliance
with internal policies and to protect our business. Emails are not=20
secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be=20
intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. Anyone=20
who communicates with us by email is taken to accept these risks.

The contents of any email addressed to our clients are subject to=20
our usual terms of business; anything which does not relate to the
official business of the firm is neither given nor endorsed by it. =20

The registered address of the UK partnership of Linklaters is One=20
Silk Street, London, EC2Y 8HQ. Please refer to=20
http://www.linklaters.com/regulation for
important information on the regulatory position of the firm.