Virtual attributes

Thomas Maue Jr tommjr at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 23 17:08:04 EDT 2004

Rob,

This could be an authorization problem.  The upgrade to 4.7 means Workflow is more stringent with authorization checks.

Have had a similar experience where some attributes appeared to resolve while others did not within one process.  Example -
Attribute A resolved and condition worked fine.
Dialog approval step with the 'advance with dialog' indicator set on.
Attribute B was empty and a second condition failed.

Reason - the second condition is performed in the context of the approval agent, which means the approval agent's authorizations were checked.  If insufficient authorizations, the attribute was empty.  This also explains why you can successfully test with the business object.

Can solve in various ways.
1) Click the 'advance with dialog' indicator off so the second condition is performed in the context of WF-BATCH (more authorizations).
2) Give authorization to all approvers.
3) Execute an empty step/method that resets the context to WF-BATCH after the dialog step.
4) In some cases you can change the attribute ABAP code.

Regards,
Thomas Maue

"Van Rooyen, Brent" <brent.van.rooyen at sap.com> wrote:
Hi Rob,

I have come across a similar situation before where the virtual attribute was populated in the container, but the workflow manager treated it as if it were empty.

The work-around I used, and I stress that this is not a proper solution, was to:

Create a new container element of exactly the same definition as the problem element.

Copy the contents of the problem element to the newly defined one at the start of the workflow.

Make use of the newly defined element in any subsequent step / processing options (you can also try copying the contents back to the problem element before it is first used).

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Brent van Rooyen
Consultant: Systems Integration and Development
SAP Africa
Johannesburg, South Africa
T +27-(0)11-235-6000
F +27-(0)11-235-6002
M +27-(0)82-380-1000
E brent.van.rooyen at sap.com
www.sap.co.za

SYSTEMS APPLICATIONS PRODUCTS : E-MAIL DISCLAIMER

The contents of this e-mail and any files or attachments transmitted with it are confidential, may be legally privileged and it may not be disclosed to, copied or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor may it be used or copied without the consent of the sender. The contents of this e-mail and its attachments shall not be binding on SAP unless signed by its duly authorised representatives.

Whilst we have taken reasonable precautions against viruses, we do not accept liability for any damages as a result of software viruses.

If you are not the intended recipient, please tell us by reply and delete all copies on your system.