EBPro Workflow

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Mon Jan 26 23:20:15 EST 2004

Hi Casey,
It's not going to be that simple - the service entry sheet in SRM/EBP is held in a completely
different way to the service entry sheet in R/3.  There is no conversion from R/3 format
to SRM/EBP format - but there is automatic conversion in the other direction.
Plus there are very few BAPIs to help with service entry sheets on the R/3 side as well - so
not much flexibility there for such a scenario.

The best approach to avoid too much pain is:
1. Enter the original service entry sheet in SRM/EBP instead of in R/3.
2. Use the SRM/EBP provided workflows and workflow tools to approve the service entry sheet in EBP.
3. The service entry sheet is automatically sent from SRM/EBP to R/3 once approved.

This is a clean approach and makes maximum use of the new EBP functionality which includes the approval preview to see what is happening in workflow and nice easy-to-enter screens.   You could even set up some code to call your approver determination in R/3 and use that to find the EBP approver (yes you need to check that the userids will be the same in both systems and use BAPI_USER_GET_DETAIL to check that the R/3 user exists in the EBP system.).

Note that when the service entry sheet is sent to R/3 it is already accepted.

Any other approach would have to be extremely simple as even user decisions cannot be guaranteed to
work in the EBP inbox without some effort (it's a release/OSS note thing - best not to go there if you can help it).

I have actually done it the hard way at one site and in my opinion its just not worth the pain. We ended
up creating the service entry sheet in R/3, sending the details in an email to the user which asked the user
to reenter it via EBP and then cancelled the original service entry sheet in R/3, while waiting for the user
to create their version ...  truly hideous, but necessary as we had some other requirements we couldn't avoid.

Better to train your existing people to use the EBP service entry sheet transactions for the initial entry.

This of course means they have to enter some entry sheets in EBP and some in R/3 ... if it's for certain
purchasing groups only you need to check whether this is workable - e.g. are certain people responsible for certain purchasing groups and can be dedicated to doing this, or is it certain vendors that are affected?

Regards,
Jocelyn