problem: Setting user statusses via object-attributes.

Koenraad Janssens koenraad.janssens at sidmar.arcelor.com
Fri Feb 27 11:24:43 EST 2004

Hello all

This is a complicated problem but I'll do my best to explain it to you
all.
In our sales orders we use a lot of user statusses.  If we would use a
method to set these statusses this would create a huge load on the system.
 (and with a method there's always the possibility of a delay)
Therefor way back in time we implemented a way to set a user status via an
object (virtual) attribute.

Each time when we move this attribute to a dummy variable this virtual
attribute gets recalculated and the user status is set (or removed).
The pro's for this implementation is better performance and only a minor
delay.  (depending on how many conditions or own test we put between the
go ahead of a user party involved and the real setting of the status)

The biggest disadvantage of this system is that you cannot test an object
with this implementation in swo1 (object builder) because when you
initialise a test object. all virtual attributes get executed.  Same
problem in 4.6B is that you cannot double click on a container object in
technical view if it represents an object with these kind of virtual
attributes.

We could live with these disadvantages in 4.6B because you really had to
double click the attribute to get it execute and all workflow people knew
of this danger all too well.  However in the new 4.7 system the container
representation has changed to a more "swo1" like view.  It's now easier
and more logical to click open an object (and in our case execute those
attributes).  We're also thinking that it becomes more and more likely
that at a certain time SAP will begin implementing a certain "object
refresh" (or something like that) and as such also execute all virtual
attributes.

So we have all agreed that we really want to change this implementation.
Does any one of you have an idea?
Or how do you set user statusses in WF while keeping performance in mind?
(Because we really set a huge number of statusses)

Kind regards

Koenraad Janssens
Sidmar N.V.- ISM
Leverage Team - Programmer
Tel: +32 9 347 35 76
E-mail: koenraad.janssens at sidmar.arcelor.com

P.S.: or do we really have to kidnap Jocelyn?  :-)

This message should only be read by those persons to whom it is
addressed, and may contain confidential information, the disclosure
of which is prohibited. This message is not intended to create rights
or obligations without subsequent written confirmation of its contents.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately