Automatic Forwarding: What is a functional document?

Michael Pokraka workflow at quirky.me.uk
Wed Feb 25 10:49:45 EST 2004

Hi Kjetil,
Thought I'd test out your theory about checking the German equivalents, b=
ut I
found that the German word is Funktional, which means exactly the same as=
 in
English (not just stating the obvious - sometimes same-sounding words can=
 have
different meanings!).
Had a quick scrabble through the code and it appears to be related to
substitution, though in what way I'm also no nearer.

  if FORW_ALL is initial.
    SUBST_DAT-flag1 =3D ' '.
*   forward functional
  else.
    SUBST_DAT-flag1 =3D 'X'.
*   forward all
  endif.

flag1 is data element SO_SUFLAG1, which has documentation! This reads:
Forward all documents automatically

So, not much closer....
Cheers
Mike

Kjetil Kilhavn wrote:
> Here is a shot in the dark: there are some messages (not workitems) whi=
ch
> are executable. For instance, the notification message received when a
> workflow has an error is executable (Ctrl + F6). Could this be a functi=
onal
> document?
>
> The online for the functional documents is as terrible as you said, but
> there is better help for the "send all documents" radiobutton
> -----------
> If this field is selected, all documents are forwarded, not only functi=
onal
> documents. The following documents are also forwarded:
>      Documents to which the sender assigned the attribute No forwarding
>      Documents to which the sender assigned the attribute Blind copy
>      Confidential documents
> -----------
>
> Forget my shot in the dark :-)
>
> It may seem that functional documents is the opposite of personal
> documents, i.e. it is like the classification for tasks where some are
> personal and others are professional - which seems to possibly be
> corresponding to functional. The original (German) field label would
> perhaps explain it better.
> ... ... [wait - hold your breath] ... ...
> Actually, if you go to the data type and look at the long label it is
> "Functional substitute".
> --
> Kjetil Kilhavn
>

>                     "Trant, David"
>                     <David.Trant at andrew.        To:     SAP-WUG at MITVMA.=
MIT.EDU
>                     com>                        cc:     (bcc: Kjetil Ki=
lhavn)
>                     Sent by: SAP                Subject:     Re: Automa=
tic
> Forwarding:  What is a functional document?
>                     Workflow
>                     <Owner-SAP-WUG at MITVM
>                     A.MIT.EDU>
>

>                     24.02.2004 17:57
>                     Please respond to
>                     "SAP Workflow Users'
>                     Group"
>

> Jocelyn,
>
> Thanks for your explanation.  I thought I'd share my colleague's respon=
se,
> plus some additional analysis I had done, with the group in case anyone
> else has interest in this topic.  Her response is:
>
> While the explanation below for forwarding "Functional" documents makes
> perfect sense and is how I would have thought it worked, that IS NOT
> consistent with my testing.  When I marked "forward functional document=
> only", I DID NOT get any actual workflow work items in my Outlook.  I D=
ID
> [...]
he
> following values available:
>
> 501 Standard
> 502 Confidential
> 503 Functional
>
> The help on this field says:
>
> Sensitivity description
>

> Use
>

>     Select the sensitivity for the document.
>

> Dependencies
>

>     Confidential documents, distribution lists and folders are not visi=
ble

>     to substitutes who logon to your mailbox.  Your system administrato=
> may
>     also have specified that confidential documents cannot be sent to
>
>     external addresses (for example, via fax or Internet).
>

> It's still somewhat clear as mud, but I think the key to observe is tha=
t a
> lot of this stuff is really geared toward true substitution, i.e. sendi=
ng
> your work to somebody else, versus simply forwarding your own work to a
> different delivery system that is also owned by you.
>
> Jan confirmed that "also place in inbox" has no bearing on work items.
> They always show up in R/3 regardless.  I believe our recommendation sh=
ould
> generally be that if someone is a power user, they consider not using
> automatic forwarding at all.  If they think they still need it so they =
know
> right away that a critical work item has been delivered to them, then t=
hey
> think long and hard whether they expect to read non-work item documents
> directly in R/3.  If they feel comfortable that they'll read notificati=
ons
> in Outlook and not need to view them via the workplace, then do not che=
ck
> "also place in inbox."  Only in the rare case where a user needs to see
> items in Outlook, but normally uses their R/3 workplace to review e-mai=
> documents (not work items) should they check this box.  For occasional
> users, the recommendation is to use automatic forwarding, and to not ch=
eck
> "also place in inbox."  Everyone should choose the radio button "forwar=
> all documents" unless we learn something later that influences this adv=
ice.

> I've posted the question to the workflow users group as to exactly what=
> functional document is.  I'll forward any responses I might get.
>
> David
>
> If someone sees a flaw in the above or has additional information, I'd =
love
> to hear it.  Otherwise, I feel comfortable that we've done enough with =
this
> one to publish a policy and move on.
>
> Thanks again,
> David
>
> P.S.  Jocelyn:  good call on chastising me for outdated and incorrect E=
BP