Automatic Forwarding: What is a functional document?

Trant, David David.Trant at andrew.com
Fri Feb 20 11:50:32 EST 2004

When you enable automatic forwarding in office settings in the business wor=
kplace, there is a checkbox to also place in inbox and radio buttons to for=
ward all documents or forward functional documents only.  The "also place i=
n inbox" checkbox does not appear to affect workflow items, as they will co=
ntinue to show up in the R/3 workplace regardless, which makes sense to me =
given that SAP needs to retain ownership of the fact that work remains to b=
e done whereas with a simple document, once it is sent, SAP does not care a=
nymore.  Where it gets confusing is toggling between forwarding all documen=
ts and functional documents only.  During tests using one of our more compl=
ex workflows, we saw a mixture of documents showing up in R/3 when the "for=
ward functional documents" button was chosen in conjunction with "also plac=
e in inbox" unchecked.  We even saw a workflow item message (the kind gener=
ated by RSWUWFML that says you have work to do ... login to SAP and do it..=
=2E.) show up in the R/3 document section.  Of course, from there, trying t=
o double-click on the attachment that normally launches a SAPGui session to=
 take you to the work fails.  The SAP help, of course, basically says a fun=
ctional document is a document that is functional.  Can anyone give me a mo=
re useful definition?  Right now, we're just telling people to always choos=
e "forward all documents," but it would be nice to understand the differenc=
e.
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. =20
this email is prohibited.